Many people refer to this kind of driver as an aggressive driver who has road rage.
What Is Road Rage?
Road rage typically occurs because one driver gets upset with another driver’s driving behaviors. For example, a driver may get distraught if other drivers do not use their turn signals, cut him off even if by accident, pull out in front of him or even when a driver is driving too slowly.
If someone is already having a bad day, is dealing with pent-up anger or has a chemical unbalance, this person may unleash his road rage on another driver. Sometimes road rage can even lead to a Sarasota car accident.
In order to stay safe and accident free when sharing the road with an aggressive driver, follow these tips:
- Try to stay cool and keep your composure
- Do not react to the driver’s actions with violence
- Do not tailgate the driver back
- Do not try and get revenge
- Do not use obscene hand gestures back at the driver
- Do not honk your horn just because you are angry
- Do not flash your headlights at the driver
- Do not make eye contact
By following these tips, you may avoid an altercation with an aggressive driver and avoid a Sarasota auto accident. While you may feel you have done nothing wrong and that driver is crazy, remember these things so that you are not inadvertently the victim of road rage:
- Use turn signals every time you switch lanes or make a left or right turn.
- Do not overuse your horn; it may just anger another driver. Only use your horn in an emergency.
- Do not tailgate. Remember to keep a safe distance from the car in front of you so that you do not anger that driver.
- Refrain from flashing your headlights or using your brights.
If you were involved in a Sarasota car crash due to another aggressive driver, you may have rights to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and more. Talk with a knowledgeable Sarasota car crash lawyer at Mallard Perez today in a free consultation at (888) 409-3805.