You may have been driving along Tramiami Trail when BAM—a car hits you—and the next thing you know you are injured and being taken to the hospital. While you may have insurance and know that you deserve compensation for your medical bills, damages, and losses, it can be difficult getting the compensation you deserve from the insurance company. What’s even worse is battling it out with the government.

What if the car that hit you was a government-owned vehicle? Unfortunately, seeking compensation from the government can be an uphill battle. If you have been in an auto accident on U.S. 41 with a government issued vehicle, you need to call us immediately. We can help you if you have been in a crash with the following government and publicly owned vehicles, including:

  • Police cars
  • Fire trucks
  • Ambulances
  • Military vehicles
  • Government agency vehicles
  • United States Postal Service vehicles
  • Other federal, state, county, or city vehicles

Not only are the government immunity laws confusing to understand, but it can be difficult trying to communicate with a government agency altogether. For this reason, you need to speak with an experienced accident attorney who can guide you through the process and will battle it out with the government agency on your behalf.

Although these types of car accident claims can be difficult due to the government immunity or sovereign immunity, a skilled attorney can help you pursue a claim for damages.

What Is Governmental Immunity?

Car accidents involving government-owned vehicles are governed by the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). This means that there are limitations on suing the government, and the government can only be sued under certain circumstances when government employees are proven to be negligent. For example, it can be significantly hard to prove gross negligence in a crash involving an emergency vehicle that was blasting loud sirens.

Incidents Involving Government-Owned Vehicles

If a government employee’s negligence caused your crash, it is possible to sue the United States government to recover for your property damages, medical expenses, and other associated expenses. However, it is critical that you do not delay seeking compensation from the government. Typically, most government entities only allow between 30-180 days to file a claim—notifying them on intent to file a lawsuit.

Because of the complex rules and deadlines involved in these types of cases, it is in your best interest to seek the legal advice of an experienced personal injury lawyer who knows how to file a car accident claim against the government. Call our Sarasota office today for a complimentary consultation at 888-409-3805 and to get your questions answered.

Damian Mallard, Esq.
Connect with me
Board Certified Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney