Many people visit Florida to soak up the rays, enjoy the beach, or go on a motorcycle ride down one of our beautiful roads. Unfortunately, it’s a given that motorcyclists can be involved in traffic accidents anytime they are on the open road. This means that motorcycle accidents don’t just happen close to home, but they can also occur when you are 300 miles or more away from your home.

Whether you rode your bike to Florida or rented a scooter or motorcycle once you got to Sarasota, here are a few things you should know about out-of-town accidents:

  • You should still be covered by your insurance policy, as your coverage likely extends across all of the states.
  • Reporting a motorcycle accident is still the same. You will need to call your insurance company’s phone number located on your insurance card, contact the local police, and stay at the accident scene until police arrive.
  • If you are injured, you should seek medical treatment and contact a personal injury lawyer in the area where your accident took place.

Although you probably never expected to be involved in a motorcycle accident while vacationing in Florida, it is important that you deal with your accident-related injuries and claim as soon as possible—even while you are out of town. If you ignore your pain and fail to obtain medical care until you get back home, the insurance company will question the validity of your injuries. While dealing with an accident claim is the last thing you probably want to do on vacation, it is critical to your case outcome.

Because insurance companies are always looking to save a buck, they will try to capitalize on the confusion that occurs in an out-of-town motorcycle accident. This is why it is essential to your potential claim that you speak with a lawyer who lives in the area where the accident took place. For example, if your motorcycle crash occurred on U.S. 301, you should look to an accident attorney who handles motorcycle crashes in the Sarasota-Bradenton area.

Not only will a local attorney know the local roads, but he or she will also know the local laws and can immediately help you by answering the dozens of questions you will have such as:

  • Should I go through my insurance, the rental company’s insurance, or the other driver’s insurance?
  • What if my medical insurance says I’m out-of-network?
  • What if I need to stay longer in Florida to recuperate from my injuries? Who will pay for my additional hotel or flight expenses?
  • Who can I hold liable for my lost wages while I heal?
  • What compensation am I entitled to?

After being involved and injured in an out-of-town motorcycle accident, it is important that you still recover the compensation you are entitled to—such as medical expenses, property damages, travel expenses, lost wages and more. It is important to not miss out on any money that you deserve just because you have to return home.

To learn how we can help you, we welcome your call and will answer your questions in a free consultation or provide you with a free copy of our book, What You Need to Know After a Florida Auto, Truck, or Bike Accident.

Damian Mallard, Esq.
Connect with me
Board Certified Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney