People who are injured by large commercial trucks often wonder what caused the crash. Did something go wrong with the truck? Did the brakes fail? Was the truck driver distracted? There are so many questions that enter into victims minds following a truck accident in Florida. But not many people ask the question: Was the truck driver taking some form of drug that contributed to this crash?

Interestingly enough, one factor—drug use—over others has contributed to trucking accidents in this nation. According to a study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 40% of truck crashes are caused by drug use. This means that a truck driver could be using one of the following drugs at the time of a Sarasota trucking accident, including:

  • Prescription drugs
  • Over-the-counter medicines

The study revealed that 26 percent of trucking accidents involving large commercial trucks occurred due to truck drivers’ prescription drug use. Additionally, 18 percent of truck crashes took place due to truck drivers’ use of over-the-counter drugs, totaling 44 percent of truck wrecks occurring due to drug use—the leading cause of trucking accidents in this nation.

Because truck drivers have and continue to misuse prescription and over-the-counter drugs, motorists sharing the road with these large vehicles are at a continued risk of injury because drugs can affect a trucker driver’s vision, memory, and overall well-being. In fact, truckers who take multiple drugs that interact with each other can cause them to drive like they were impaired. Sadly, drug use has caused countless truck accidents and injuries, such as:

  • Multiple fractures
  • Femur fracture
  • Tibia fracture
  • Herniated discs
  • Head trauma
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Amputation
  • Paralysis
  • Death

According to federal regulations, truck drivers are not supposed to take any form of controlled substance without a doctor’s supervision and understanding of the implications the drug may have on a trucker’s driving ability. However, many truck drivers take medications that affect their ability to drive safely—ultimately putting others at risk.

If you were injured in a trucking accident in Florida, or if your loved one died in a truck crash, you will need the help of a skilled injury lawyer to deal with the trucking company and insurance company on your behalf. Call a qualified Sarasota truck accident lawyer at Mallard Perez for a free, confidential consultation at 888-409-3805. Our attorneys will help you understand your rights.

Damian Mallard, Esq.
Connect with me
Board Certified Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney