Depending on the circumstances, your child might be entitled to compensation from your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage or you may want to file a lawsuit against the driver. If the other driver was at fault and your child’s injuries are severe, you should speak with a lawyer about filing a personal injury lawsuit. However, if your child was at fault, you may still get certain coverages under Florida’s PIP laws.

If you own a car and have it insured, your PIP coverage would extend to anyone living in your household—including your daughter. In order to get your daughter’s medical bills reimbursed through your PIP coverage, your daughter would need to see a doctor within 14 days of the pedestrian accident. If your daughter doesn’t see a doctor within that time frame, she may be barred from making a recovery.

Because PIP benefits only cover a certain amount of damages, you may need additional compensation, especially if your medical bills are high and your daughter suffered serious injuries. If this is the situation you are facing, you should pursue a personal injury claim to help your family recover adequate financial compensation. Additionally, if the driver failed to yield the right-of-way, drove distracted or drove impaired, you could pursue a claim for damages, in order to seek justice.

A personal injury claim can help your family recover the proper compensation for your daughter’s ER visit, x-rays, surgery, physical therapy, pain and suffering, and your time off of work. For example, you may have lost income from taking time off work to take your daughter to doctor’s appointments and staying home to care for her.

Make sure you get every dime you are entitled to, and contact an experienced pedestrian accident attorney at Mallard Perez today for your free consultation at 888-409-3805. We also invite you to check out our other articles to learn more about pedestrian accidents.

Damian Mallard, Esq.
Connect with me
Board Certified Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney