Collisions happen every day that involve cars, trucks, pedestrians, and bicycles. Some of these crashes are tragic, some are minor fender benders, and some are hit-and-run collisions. Unfortunately, hit-and-run accidents are a reality of bicycle riding on Sarasota streets. It is unbelievable that someone would hit a bicyclist and take off rather than stop to help an injured person, but sadly it happens all too often.
When a hit-and-run crash in Sarasota involves a car and bicyclist, a cyclist needs to know what to do. The top five things to remember following a hit-and-run bicycle accident in Sarasota are:
- Call the police. Make this phone call immediately. Police have been able to locate many drivers who have left an accident scene. By calling as soon as possible, you will have a better chance of police finding the hit-and-run driver. Additionally, the police can take an incident report that will help you with your insurance claim.
- Seek medical care. If you are injured or even feel slight pain, have the ambulance transport you to the local hospital or drive yourself to the emergency room, if it is safe for you to do so. Making sure you receive the right medical attention is critical to your health as well as to your insurance claim.
- Call your auto insurance company. Report the accident and details of the accident to the insurance company. However, do not give a recorded statement until you have spoken with an attorney and have received medical attention.
- Notify your health insurance company. Report the accident to your own health insurance company as soon as possible, as you may need your own insurance to kick in if the driver is never found.
- Consult with an accident attorney. Speak with an experienced Sarasota bike accident attorney to find out how to protect your rights to a financial recovery and how to deal with the insurance companies involved.
Unfortunately, insurance companies do everything they can to pay you as little money as possible. This is why you need a skilled Sarasota bicycle injury attorney on your side to help you get the compensation you deserve. Call Mallard Perez today for a free consultation at 888-409-3805.