There are many reasons why cars and trucks collide. Some accidents are caused due to the impatience of passenger vehicle drivers cutting truckers off, squeezing in when they shouldn’t or trying to pass when there is not enough room. However, the majority of Sarasota truck accidents occur from five common causes:
- Drugged driving—many truck drivers are addicted to prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications to help them drive longer distances, and they may be under the influence.
- Driver fatigue—because truck drivers drive up to eleven hours at a stretch, they often get tired. Additionally, some truckers drive longer than they should to get paid more or reach their destination on time or ahead of schedule.
- Speeding—when truckers speed, it can be dangerous because it takes a long time to bring an 80,000 pound truck to a complete stop.
- Distracted driving—truckers have been known to talk on their cell phones, text, use CB radios, and even watch television or movies while they are driving. Participating in these behaviors can cause a trucker to take his mind off of the road and crash.
- Inexperience—when a truck driver is driving an 80,000-pound vehicle around without much experience, he may not be aware of all the dangers of driving a large truck.
If you were injured in a Sarasota truck crash due to a trucker’s negligence, you may have rights to a larger settlement than the insurance company is offering you. To find out more, call a skilled Sarasota truck accident attorney at Mallard Perez today for a free, no-obligation consultation at (888) 409-3805 and find out more.